Sunday, September 1, 2013

Starting to Doula

Here is my  My Doula Profile! I have decided to embark into the world of helping women have babies. While I may not become a Midwife for years I want to be a doula first and gain as much experience as I can before moving on into the Midwife role. I have recently met and made an amazing contact here in Vermont. A CPM (Certified Professional Midwife) she works with women and parents whose goal is to have home births. I have talked with her in depth on the phone and this past Friday I had the privilege of meeting her and getting to watch her during an appointment. 

Not only was it amazing to get to talk to her about my life, goals, dreams and her life and midwifery practice her opinions and idea, but I also got to see her at work! It wasn't a birth granted but it was a very informative experience. As I sat listening to her and the expecting parents, questions kept coming up into my head and if I waited just a few minutes I found that these questions were answered in more detail than any book I could have read.

After a lot of thinking I am pretty sure that I would like to start my family before I jump all the way into Midwifery. This is because I really want to be able to spend the time with my little ones that they deserve. I want to be there for them when they need me. As a midwife I will be there for all the mothers who need me. While being a Midwife and a parent of little ones is certainly something that can be done I don't want to have two very important callings of mine dueling for the right amount of time from me. I do intend on being a practicing Doula starting with my first experience hopefully this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment